Skip to main content

Upside Down Kingdom

Over the past 2.5 months since coming to Honolulu for DTS (Discipleship Training School) with YWAM, my life and perspective has changed radically. The theme coming into our DTS quarter is "All in. All for. All because of Jesus.
The other day I was talking with my friend Anna, about all that I have been learning since I arrived in Hawaii but also some struggles I still have. It's not easy to put things into words, especially when you don't what you are feeling or why. I have been feeling anxious about the future and about going to Indonesia. I love the team that I'm apart of but I worry about what I will do once we come back. I am done with school so I won't be doing that like many other young people will be doing. 

I don't have a place to call my own even though I do have family to stay with temporarily. I don't have a husband either so I am doing this alone. I feel as though I have been wandering through life alone and its hard at times, even though I do have friends that come into my life, everything seems temporary and inconsistent.
She said that I'm longing for connection. She encouraged me to pray for a mentor. Someone who is walking with me in life. 


This began to trigger memories of when I had a similar discussion with my friend Alex who encouraged me to pray for a name and I got Michelle. I confessed to Michelle some struggles I was having with a non-Christian guy I liked and she gave me helpful counsel at the time. 
Coincidentally, she became my leader for nearly 3 years. She was an excellent leader and really helped me walk through much and heal along the way; but in the midst of those 3 years I made a lot of unwise decisions and endured much pain as a result. I realize that it was hard for me to submit fully with my actions. I always thought of myself as a submissive person but there was hidden pride and control I had. I felt extremely insecure and fearful.
 Its funny how many lessons you can learn from something that seems so minor. Coming to this particular DTS where majority of the staff and students are younger than me has really taught me so much. I made so many mistakes in the past when it comes to submission to authority. I feel like this is the ultimate test to see whether or not I have learned from those mistakes made.
God has been teaching me a lot about what it means to submit to those that He has placed above me in authority.
 Can you submit and choose to submit to those younger than you? Can you remain teachable? Can you respect their decisions even if you have doubts? What will it take for God to teach me humility? Jesus was submissive to the father and even to his own creation. 
Upside down kingdom - God does things that don't make sense. Use the bible as your standard not the world's. 

What does leadership look like? What does it mean to be a leader?  
"Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over your souls, as those who will have to give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with groaning, for that would be of no advantage." Hebrews 13:17 ESV
Next Sunday, we will be heading out to Indonesia for 28 days and Malaysia for 6 weeks


Please keep our team in your prayers as we prepare to head out!

*Pray for good health and protection over our team!! 

*Pray for grace over us as we finish preparing sermons and packing!!

*Pray that I will continue to remain teachable, humble and submissive - learn and grow more in these areas.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Month at YWAM Honolulu!!

Shekinah House (Girl's House) It hasn't been a full month yet but it feels like I have been here for awhile! I arrived on Jan 9th and began orientation on the 10th. When I arrived on base I was brought to my living quarters which is Bunk beds a small house shared among 25 girls. We share 3 bathrooms, one fridge, a small common room and sleep on bunk beds. This has been the most people I have ever lived with in my life. Its very similar to what I imagine living in a college dorm is like but I never had that option in college. View of Manoa Valley The YWAM base is located in Manoa Valley in Honolulu and is near the University of Hawaii. Everyday we begin our day with breakfast and one hour of bible reading/journal quiet time with Jesus. This is very important and something that YWAM values highly! Starting each day with Jesus is the most important thing you can do. We have lectures throughout the week covering various topics. In our first week of lectures, we

YWAM DISCIPLESHIP TRAINING SCHOOL/OUTREACH UPDATE – March 19, 2019

Each morning at 7am, we are required to wake up for breakfast and start devo/quiet times at 7:30-8:30am. Every day looks slightly different as we have intercession/book reading time/chapel talk/base worship. This DTS was NOTHING like I anticipated and we have not only participated in lectures but also are involved in weekly EVANGELISM and COMMUNITY OUTREACH . I have been working with an afterschool program once a week, helping kids with homework and doing chapel services. Every Tuesday night we go out to the streets and tourist area of Waikiki beach in Honolulu, to evangelize (share about Jesus) with people. When I first went out, I was so scared of running up to random people and telling them about Jesus. Over the past 2 months I've been continually challenged to get outside of my comfort zone and to embrace rejection. We continued walking a bit when a young guy caught my attention. I said that we need to go talk to him. Awkwardly turning around, we began to fo

Learning to Trust God - U.S. Visa Update!

What will it take for you to...(fill in the blank)? It was a question that I myself have wrestled with over the years. Its easy for me to just say that I would go anywhere that God tells me to and that if he said go, I'd go. Its easier said than done. I can attest to that! Recently I made an unexpected trip to Calgary to visit the U.S. Embassy to apply for my visa to the states. It was a long hectic process. One that nearly broke me down into a flood of tears on multiple occasions.  After reading through the forms online, I began to prepare all my documents. First my U.S. visa picture was rejected and I had to wait another day in order to go and get a new one issued. I was creating an online profile in order to book a visa interview appointment.  Then after making the wrong appointment and a few phone calls later, I got the right information and scheduled to make my interview appointment. That was when I read that the length of time it would take to process and issu